Your support will mean cleaner water, healthier habitat and more abundant life in the Chesapeake Bay.
The Chesapeake Bay's watershed—the area of land that feeds all the water draining into it—encompasses 64,000 square miles of streams and rivers, forests, farms and cities.
The map and stories below highlight the variety of ways that TNC is working across six states—Delaware, Maryland/DC, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia—to protect and restore the Chesapeake Bay.
- Promoting sustainable agriculture practices that keep nutrients on farm fields and out of waterways.
- Reducing urban stormwater pollution through innovative partnerships and green infrastructure solutions.
- Working with partners to deploy smart pond technology that anticipates rain events and adjusts water levels and storage volumes.
- Bringing back the bay's keystone species, the oyster, through aggressive reef restoration efforts.
- Restoring wetlands and the critical services they provide to help prevent flooding and absorb sediment and excess nutrients.
- Tackling climate change through our policy work and government relations efforts.
- Protecting 233,000 acres of land in the bay watershed.
EXPLORE OUR WORK ACROSS THE BAY STATES
Making a Splash
Web-based Smart Pond technology is offering a new way to deal with stormwater, one of the leading sources of pollution in the Chesapeake Bay.